For those who were interested in how the side mount could be modified to fit the v star, here's a pic of how i made it work. Pretty straight forward actually. I simply drilled a 10ml hole in the mount so that it fits both the bottom left and top right bolts surrounding the axle. It's very steady this way, and actually leans against the axle nut, so no chance of moving..
I realised that the problem initially with fastening the mount was due to inserting the big washer that comes in the box - it means that the mount itself always swivels. Once you remove this, you can actually secure the mount without any mods to the rop right bolt, by simply placing a large washer underneath the bolt. I secured it like this first, but didn't test ride it, so not sure if it will become loose with riding.
Anyhow i think this setup pictured looks better than how it's supposed to work, it sticks out less and is more flush with the bike.